Weddings at St. Robert Parish
Weddings at St. Robert Parish
St. Robert is proud to support engaged couples in their discernment of the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony, and we want to help you along your journey. Please find more information about weddings at St. Robert below, and contact the parish office if you have any questions.
Setting Your Wedding Date
Prior to selecting a hall for your reception, please check with the parish, regarding the availability of the date you are considering. St. Robert Parish offers many time slots for weddings per weekend: after 3:30pm on Fridays and starting at 11:00am and as late as 1:30 pm on Saturdays. The church is reserved for two hours for each wedding, with one hour afterwards for pictures, etc. Weddings are not scheduled during the liturgical seasons of Easter or on Sundays. Preparation for a wedding at St. Robert requires a time span of six months to one year. To make an initial contact, please call the parish office at 414-332-1164 ext. 3010.
What does the preparation include?
- The initial session involves meeting with Father, receiving a detailed explanation of the preparation process, and filling out the Pre-Nuptial Questionnaire.
- The couple must obtain recent copies of their baptismal certificates from their church of baptism. A recent copy of a baptismal certificate is one issued within the last 12 months.
- A mentor couple (called a “FOCCUS couple”) from the Parish will schedule two or three meetings with the couple.
- The couple then schedules the Engaged Enrichment Day through the Milwaukee Archdiocese.
- A liturgy planning session in scheduled with the Director of Music and Liturgy, Mary Grace Sanchez. Because of the intimate connection between the union of marriage and the bond of the Eucharist, Catholic parties celebrate the Rite of Marriage within a Mass. Catholics marrying non-Christians celebrate the Rite of Marriage within the context of the Liturgy of the Word.
- The wedding rehearsal is then scheduled with the presiding priest. The marriage license must be brought to the wedding rehearsal. Click here for information on obtaining your marriage license.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I or my future spouse has been married before?
If this is the case, the couple should contact the Pastor as soon as possible to see what canonical work needs to be done.
Is there a wedding fee?
Yes, a total of $750.00 is required when the date is secured on the Parish calendar. Checks may be made payable to St. Robert Parish. This fee includes payment for the cantor and musician. One hundred dollars of this fee is non-refundable once the payment is received.
Do I or my fiancé(e) need to be a member of St. Robert Parish?
Because our parish encompasses the University of Wisconsin, we get a number of students wanting to get married here. Therefore our Parish membership requirement can accommodate various situations, so please call about this question: 414-332-1164 ext. 3010.
What if we wish to have a priest or deacon from a different church celebrate the wedding?
In many cases this is allowed, but must be approved by the Pastor.
What if my fiancé(e) is not Catholic?
This would not prohibit your marriage in any way. Particular circumstances should be discussed with the priest. St. Robert invites you to become Catholic. Please contact Donna Shriner, St. Robert’s Coordinator for the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, at 414-332-1164 ext. 3045.
What if I haven’t been confirmed?
Catholics are encouraged to be confirmed before they are married, although a lack of the sacrament would not necessarily impede the wedding. Adults interested in being confirmed should contact Donna Shriner at 414-332-1164, ext. 3045.
Do we need to provide a stand for the unity candle?
Lighting a unity candle is an optional ritual. There are stands at the Church to choose from, but, if you do wish to have a unity candle, you will need to provide the candle itself.
For more information
Call Debe Dannecker in the parish office, 414-332-1164 ext. 3010